Should You Worry About Smart Home Hacking In Brooklyn?
In a variety of ways, smart devices like surveillance systems and video doorbells have made our lives more secure. We are able to receive alerts when someone arrives at our front door, and we can have video segments sent to us when dubious movements are found. Having components we are able to access over the internet alerts us to developing threats immediately. But there is one primary drawback. The access we enjoy is also cracking a door open for virtual intrusions.
While you don’t have to lay awake at night fretting over smart home hacking in Brooklyn, you ought to be cognizant of the risk involved and take action to avoid it.
Ways To Prevent Smart Home Hacking
It’s astonishing how the internet has changed our everyday lives as seemingly everything is accessible online, including your security components, smart TVs, and even your coffee maker. The issue is that this produces more pathways for virtual villains to sneak into your network. Even so, you don’t need to forgo wireless home protection packages or other smart components. Instead, follow these tips and take steps to keep invaders off your network.
- Use hard-to-crack passwords: This is a requirement for all accounts, especially your home’s wireless network. Use upper and lower casing and an assortment of numbers, letters, and special characters. Stay away from dates of birth, anniversaries, or other things hackers may easily figure out. A password fabricator will supply you with something completely random and a password manager can assist you in tracking your different passwords and accounts.
- Update default settings: When you first unbox a new router, it will probably come with a standard password to help you get started. Don’t forget to update it. Hackers may have these default passwords too. Setting up your Wi-Fi network and home router properly from day one will go a long way to keeping you protected.
- Set up a separate network: Why include your smart fridge, your home security components, and the laptop you use for work on one network? Most routers permit you to set up a separate guest network. Take advantage of it and safeguard important information found on your desktop, laptop, and phone.
- Install a firewall: Firewalls aren’t merely for businesses. They can also be incorporated into your private network. Firewalls will watch the traffic on your network and block questionable activity. You can begin with a router including a built-in firewall.
- Use the top encryption settings and security protocols: If you have a newer router, you will likely have the ability to incorporate WPA3, the latest wireless security protocol. If that’s not an option, WPA2 with AES encryption will be sufficient. You need to look for home security devices that protect with 128-bit or higher.
- Ensure software and firmware is current: Keep your operating systems at the latest levels for all equipment, including your connected camera surveillance. Many times, these updates will fix vulnerabilities and improve your network security.
Beware of Shoddy Smart Home Devices In Brooklyn
Name brands like ADT and Amazon have their reputation to uphold and will quickly make an effort to rectify a security issue in their equipment. Other knock-off brands may not be quite as diligent. Getting your surveillance systems, video doorbell, smart thermostat, and additional smart devices from one supplier like ADT is the right move. And having all of your equipment installed simultaneously will help ensure proper integration, operation, and security. It’s also good to know that ADT Command, the hub of your security system, utilizes two-way encryption when communicating with your smart components.
Design Your Own Brooklyn Home Defense Package
Since you now have a greater understanding on how to keep your wireless network shielded from hackers, you’re ready to begin designing your own home defense system in Brooklyn. The security specialists at Secure24 Alarm Systems are ready to find the right package for your home. Contact us at (212) 553-6593 or submit the form to take your protection to a new level.